Benefits & Risks of Surgery
What are the benefits of weight loss surgery?
- Improvement in your self-esteem, self-confidence and even mood.
- Reduction in the risk of serious health complications such as diabetes, heart attacks and stroke
- Improvement in your mobility and energy levels, and less stress on your joints.
- Reducing or resolving breathing problems such as sleep apnoea.
- Improving life expectancy.
- Improving fertility.
Risks of surgery
What are some of the risks of weight loss surgery?
No surgery is without risk and so having weight loss surgery does carry risks. Your weight loss surgeon, or the multidisciplinary team prior to your surgery will discuss these risks with you. The risks vary according to your age, sex and your BMI.
There are also other risks or complications that vary depending on the type of surgery that you have. These will be discussed further at your consultation.